Sunday, May 17, 2015

(Simple) Buttermilk Pie

Oh you are going to thank me for sharing this tasty dessert with you!

It's sooo simple - just mix everything together and pour in the pie crust, then bake. It sets up a little more as it cools, but I definitely had to have a piece while it was still warm.

WOWZERS!

I slightly adapted the recipe I found at A Cowboy's Wife. I normally reduce the sugar in most recipes anyway...I used 1-2/3 c. and thought it was still pretty sweet, so plan to use 1-1/2 c. sugar the next time.  

There WILL be a next time...and it won't be long!

I also used half BROWN sugar and loved the 'caramel-y' taste it gave the pie. 

I'd say this buttermilk pie is similar to a chess pie, if you've ever had one of those, you'll love this one too. 

I wanted to use up the buttermilk I had in my freezer from making 
DIY Perpetual Buttermilk ...this was the perfect way to do it too. 

Don't hesitate to look for a reason to make this dessert - PRONTO!

I also LOVE that I made this with a whisk...not having to drag out the mixer is always a 'plus' in my kitchen. 



BUTTERMILK PIE 

1-1/2 c. sugar (can use half of that in brown sugar)
(original recipe calls for 2 c. raw organic sugar)
1/4 c. flour
1 stick butter, melted
3 eggs 
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. buttermilk
prepared pie crust 

Preheat oven to 325. 

In large bowl, combine sugar and flour. Melt butter; cool a minute or so; add to flour mixture and combine. Then add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.  Mix thoroughly until smooth.  Pour into pie shell; bake 45 minutes to 1 hour (mine took about 55 minutes).  It will brown and set up in the middle when it's done. 
Cool to room temperature; refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck


You may be interested in these other pie recipes...




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly