Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Simple Oatmeal Pie (Sugar Free Option)

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY PRECIOUS HUBBY...
MY SUGARBEAR! 
(This photo was taken on Father's Day)



Couldn't resist sharing this...


(Among numerous health issues that he deals with, he's diabetic, so
I chose this pie that has a Sugar Free option) 

I've had oatmeal pie, but not for a very long time. I was so excited when I saw this, I made it soon after seeing the recipe.
(That doesn't always happen!) 


I used a hand mixer to blend and fluff a little more, but you could use a whisk if you really need to, just be sure to beat well.  

I also added pecans to make it kinda like a 'mock' pecan pie. 
It's already caramel-y - MY favorite flavor, after chocolate of course. 

This isn't as rich as pecan, but it makes for a great dessert.  And I so love that it's a one-bowl mix-up.  Can't beat that for easy cleanup!

You can toast the oats (tip below recipe) and omit the nuts, but I added both. Either/or is optional. 

Of course, making your own crust is the best, but I use a mix...

Whatever turns your crank...or rolling pin..=) 

I saw this recipe at JessicaNWood where Jessica shares this beloved pie of her
Nanny!  Please stop by and check out other lovely recipes she has there, like 
this awesome sounding Honey Bun Cake


SIMPLE OATMEAL PIE 

3/4 c. sugar
(I used 2/3 c...and I used xylitol)
6 Tb. butter, room temp
2 eggs
2/3 c. corn syrup
(I used 'sugar free' honey from Walmart)
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. rolled oats, toasted** (toasting is optional)
1/2 c. chopped pecans, optional
1-9" unbaked pie crust 

Preheat oven to 325. Place pie crust on foil lined baking sheet. 

In large bowl, cream sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. Mix in eggs, corn syrup and vanilla, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in oats and nuts. 

Pour into pie crust and bake 45 minutes or until crust is brown and center is just a little jiggly. 

**TIP:  To toast oatmeal, place in a thin layer cake pan in the oven after preheated. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they start to brown and have a strong, nutty aroma. Stir the oats occasionally, to prevent scorching and ensure even toasting.

Linked to Full Plate Thursday
Simple Buttermilk Pie







Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly