Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Flax Seed "Egg" (Replacement)

Isn't it frustrating when you need just one or two more eggs to complete the recipe you're planning to make??  And you need it NOW?

And I'm guessing there's plenty of baking going on during these cooler temps?

Have you ever tried a substitute for eggs when baking?

My clever daughter introduced me to this awesome 'trick' a number of years ago.

I added this idea to my first cookbook, "Recipes & Recollections". 
(details to purchase here - $12 & free S * H)


This is a very HEALTHY substitute as it adds Omega-3 fatty acids and lots of fiber, while eliminating cholesterol.  It's low in carbs and adds a pleasant nutty taste.

And I love that all those 'specks' disappear when baked into your food!
No one will be able to guess you did something different. 

I have made orange streusel loaves all summer to sell at my farmer's market stand.  The batter is VERY orange, but not one little speck shows up after it's baked, and I used this substitute every single time! 


I suggest substituting for no more than half the eggs called for in your recipe. 

I've been told you can do the very same thing with chia seeds, but I have yet to try that.  

This is how simple it is to make....

FLAX SEED 'EGG' REPLACEMENT 

Add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal (seeds need to be ground)  with 3 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl. Allow it to stand for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times. It will become thickened and that's how it works to 'bind' your ingredients together, just like an egg. 


Linked to Weekend Potluck


ALMOST LIKE MAGIC!  =) 

I love being able to Do-It-Yourself (MYself=) 











Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly